SLIDER

  • "/>" />
  • "/>"/>" />
  • " />
  • "/>"/>" />
  • "/>"/>" />

Travel with kids * Natalie * United States

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Series - "Travel with kids" is a series of posts from women who have traveled internationally (with their kids) and lived to tell about it. Hopefully their travel tips (and trials) will encourage and equip your family for adventures of your own.

Introduction - Natalie and Danny are some of our closest friends here in Rotorua. We met them in the "cry room" at church on our second Sunday in town. We have been showing up at their house for wine, very delicious desserts and great conversation every Thursday since. They make New Zealand feel a little bit more like home.

**********************************************************************************************************


I am a real mixed bag of heritage. I grew up in New Zealand, but I have a Canadian Mother, British Dad, American husband and a Kiwi baby! Consequently, all my life I have travelled long distances to see family, and inconsequently become hooked on seeing the world. I have travelled with my family, solo- back packing around the world, then with my husband on a year abroad, and most recently hitting up a few ‘easy’ destinations with my little one. One could almost say traveling has become a hobby (albeit an expensive hobby!). I love exploring new cultures, particularly cultures that are a little more confrontational than your average and tend to push you to your limits!
 

A little bit about me- I am a Mum to a one year old boy, (what a learning curve this is!) and live in Rotorua, New Zealand. Pre baby, my husband and I lived in Auckland where I was a teacher at a private boys school. I love the beach, coffee, baking yummy goodness, having a good belly laugh with friends and yes, a wine!


Traveling with a baby is a whole new experience. Not only do you feel like you have packed your entire house, (and your luggage limits are maxed out) but also you now have to consider things you would never have dreamed of prior to children. Sleep schedules, (will they sleep?). How will I breast feed on a plane? Will I have enough wet wipes? Is three bottles of Pamol (tylonol) going to be enough?  Do I need to pack more diapers? and have I downloaded the Baby Einstein videos onto ALL iPads, iPhones and laptops?  

It’s things like this that make the week before you go traveling a little insane. Danny, Charlie and I went to Ohio, USA and Toronto, Canada when Charlie was 6 months old. It was fabulous seeing all our family, (in particular Charlie's Great Grandmother in Toronto) and in amongst the anxiety of getting Charlie into good sleep patterns whilst battling a boob strike I did find pleasure in the holiday.

We have since traveled to Fiji for a birthday treat, however, this experience put me off for life! Charlie was really unwell when we left, (in hindsight we probably shouldn’t have gone) and screamed the entire 3 hour flight from Auckland to Nadi. I just wanted to jump out of the plane! He was sick the whole week we were there, I got sick and stayed in bed for most of the time and to top it off, the weather was cold and nasty! We got home and got on the antibiotics!

So... Travel Tips from a first time mom with a few flights under her belt.

* Always pack more clothes for yourself and baby than you think you need on a flight. 3 vomits on one flight left me in a pair of shorts and singlet re entering a very wintery New Zealand day.

* Baby Eienstien on an iPhone!

* Using a sling to transport baby around airports etc is much easier than a stroller. It also means that you don’t have to take baby out of the stroller every time you go through customs.

* Pamol (tylenol) is a baby’s best friend!


* We always take a black out curtain and pegs with us when traveling. I brought a cheap piece of black out material and it has been invaluable. Just peg it up or drape it over the porta cot and voila- a dark room. We also put velcro tabs and hooks on it so that we could make a tent sort of thing on the plane.

* A hooter hider is handy when breast feeding on a plane.

* Pack a few new toys and a couple of favs for long journeys.

* Pack a dummy ( pacifier) for a ‘just incase’ moment.

* An obvious one- feed baby on way up on a flight and on the way down as it helps to equalize their ears

* If you can, book and pay extra for the cribs on the plane. You get more leg room and the crib provides a safe place for baby to sleep or play. These are only really available on long haul flights.

* I found that once I got to the destination I put charlie straight into his same routine that he was at home. We didn’t seem to have too many jet lag problems (bar the first day). 


* I also read somewhere that going outside and being in the sunshine during their ‘up’ time helped them to establish their routine.

Traveling with a young baby is not easy...but not impossible. Was it worth it....Yes. Seeing my Grandmother holding her Great Grandson was the best thing ever!


No comments :

Post a Comment