SLIDER

  • "/>" />
  • "/>"/>" />
  • " />
  • "/>"/>" />
  • "/>"/>" />

Ponui Island - I love camp

Thursday, February 13, 2014

"camp" has always been a big part of my story. I love it. I love youth camp, family camp, adult retreats. I love attending camps, helping at camps, and even scrubbing toilets at camp. Part of it has to do with my personality. I like meeting new people, playing loud crazy games, I don't mind being called to the front of a crowded room to do something slightly embarrassing, I like "kumbaya-ish" conversations by the fire late into the night. My husband hates camp... it's not for everyone. I get it. 

There is something deep within me that is thrilled with the adventure and opportunity that "camp" always seems to invite. Getting away from the dailyness of life, seeing a new place, interacting with people that I otherwise might never have met, watching community develop, and people grow. It is exciting stuff to me.

Some of my most significant life decisions have been made in the space that "camp" has provided...  I am always a bit eager with anticipation, wondering what revelation that will unfold or what decision will be made clear. More than anything, I think it has to do with the break in routine - the opportunity to look a things from a new angle... the time to mull over thoughts and be inspired by new ideas.

I usually feel stretched at camp - at the end of the day I am exhausted... but strangely energized. Doing camp with four kids, living in a bus, minus the husband - I was knackered (a kiwi colloquialism I have come to find very useful in this season of life). But despite the long days and short nights, the exhausted toddler tantrums and a lack of a regular routine... our week at Ponui was surprisingly restorative and inspiring. I would pack up and do it over again in a heartbeat... because I love camp.

I am thankful for the experience we had and the incredibly special people we met. Sweet memories.

No comments :

Post a Comment