SLIDER

  • "/>" />
  • "/>"/>" />
  • " />
  • "/>"/>" />
  • "/>"/>" />

Malibu wedding

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

In 2011 we were living in Delaware. Ben had finished his five year residency program, worked a year in the ER and had just started an intense two year critical care fellowship an hour from our home. Max and Maggie were in preschool and Jude was four months old. We had a good network of support, a few highly competent babysitters and some dear friends - but no family within driving distance.

Ben’s cousin Stephen and his wife Lindsey arrived in July. Stephen was beginning the same residency program that Ben had completed and they lived five minutes from our home in Newark. They became a special part of our family and made our lives rich in a million different ways.

A few months ago Lindsey called to get my thoughts on traveling with her (soon to be) newborn baby. She knew that I had done it myself, and was hoping to be in close friends Malibu wedding four weeks postpartum. I encouraged her to go and offered to be her (baby holding) date – since Stephen would be home with their two boys. It helped her enjoy the wedding, but it was also a tremendous gift for me. 

The trip came at the perfect moment. I needed a get away – an opportunity to see beautiful things, spend time with a kind friend and be reminded of the things that are true in my life. I know that we are done having babies, so it was a special treat to spend so much time soaking in the wonder of new life. 

The wedding was at a beautiful vineyard in Agora Hills. The weather was perfect and the food and drinks were delicious. The bride was an actress and the groom was a pastor, so there was an eclectic mix of people in attendance. I have always enjoyed meeting new people and hearing their stories (a trait I inherited from my father) and I was also holding newborn – a task that always invites conversation. It was a lovely evening. 

Considering the fact that Lindsey and I have a combined total of seven kids – there was an unprecedented amount of downtime this weekend. In addition to the wedding festivities, we had lunch at a in Santa Barbara, I skated a greenway along the Pacific, we had ice cream on the beach, mojitos at a swanky resort and ate In-and-Out burgers driving Route 1 at sunset. It was a life giving weekend with two girls that I love dearly.



1 comment :

  1. Beach weddings are always refreshing and beautiful. You have shared amazing pictures here. Hey I also got married at one of most beautiful beachside Malibu wedding venues. I had hired famous floral decorator for decorating venue with lovely fresh flowers.

    ReplyDelete